Whitby Regatta 2017
It's been running for 176 and now it's almost that time of year again when everyone flocks to Whitby for it's annual Regatta. It runs from 18th - 21st Aug this year and if you have never been then you are in for a treat!! For the last few years before I moved to Whitby I used to come on holiday just for Regatta week because the atmosphere is great! There are all kinds of events going on throughout the weekend from rowing races, to beach volleyball, to market & craft stalls...
This is just a brief run down of some of the events this year...
- Greasy Pole Competition - This has proved such a successful event that they are doing it again this year. You can enter on the day at the fish pier.
- Beach Volleyball - 2 a-side women, 2 a-side men, 2-3 a-side recreational teams. Priced at £10 per team. You can register in front of the beach huts but the day is still to be confirmed. You can find out more from www.connectandinspire.co.uk
- Rowing Races - You will need to see the Regatta programme for more information on the races.
- Fun Run - This is on Sunday 20th and is a 4k fun run. It starts at the Crescent Gardens and entry forms can be found on the Regatta website if you wish to join in.
- Vintage / Post War / Classic & Sports Car Rally - This is held on Sunday 20th and many elegant cars will compete in various classes for prestigious trophies. You can enter your vehicles by using the application form on the regatta website.
- Children's Entertainment - There will be a wide selection of children's entertainment throughout the whole weekend.
- Market & Craft Fair - Held on the Saturday & Sunday there will be a wide selection of market and craft stalls as well as catering outlets.
- RAF & Navy Displays - Both the RAF and the Navy will have display stalls set up all weekend.
- Fireworks Display - This is on the Monday night (21st) at around 9.45pm and they always put on a fabulous display not to be missed.
- Raft Race - This takes place on Saturday 19th and you can get entry forms from the regatta web site.
- Motorcycle Gymkhana - Skill and fun on 2 wheels taking place on Whitby Beach on the Sunday
- The Grand Parade - A parade of many decorated floats makes it's way through the heart of the Regatta celebrations and takes place on the Monday. Please see the Ragatta programme for parade times.
- Fairground - There is a fair set up on the pier every year with various rides and stalls
- Jez Avery - Jez Avery is a world class pro BMX, Trials & Mountain bike rider turned Stunt-Show performer. He is an extremely experienced and well-rounded stuntman with numerous Guinness World Records under his belt and he will amaze and entertain any audience. He will be performing throughout the Monday on West Cliff.
- Slackline School - Slacklining is an extreme balance sport that stems from tightrope walking and is recognised worldwide as a sport, an art form, a recreational pass time and a therapeutic activity for both body and mind. If you would like to try the experience at this year’s Regatta then it will be on all weekend at different times throughout the days.
As you can see this is a fantastic weekend in Whitby with something to suit all members of the family.
If you haven't already booked your holiday with us then there is still time as we have just a few more pitches available.